The Superguy logs for 2011-March 2017 (1334-1345) are now included in the Superguy ftp site:
and in the Superguy autocollector:
West Coast Defenders #51
Universal Solvents #23-25
Trail Boss #1-2, Cast List
The League #7-8
Rough Cut #1-2
Adjusted League Unimpeachable #110, Cast List
ALU Interstitial #1
Additionally, the SfStory archive, at
has been updated with
Universal Solvents #23-25
Trail Boss #1-2, Cast List
Archive Boy and Mongo
Tag Wranglers are pleased to announce that we have reached the milestone of 25,000 fandoms on AO3! This comes shortly after we celebrated reaching 3 million fanworks in April and 1 million users back in October.
AO3 users have always been incredibly creative. Over the years, we've reached several fandom milestones:
- 5,000 fandoms around New Year's Day, 2010
- 10,000 fandoms in September, 2012
- 15,000 fandoms in April, 2014
- 20,000 fandoms in December, 2015
Are there any rare fandoms you love that you discovered on AO3?
Sharing 25,000 Fandoms with 1 Million People
With so many new fandoms, fanworks, and users joining us daily, now is a good time to explain what this growth can mean for users and Tag Wranglers.
Tags on AO3 are shared. If you use the same exact tag that someone else has used, your works will be included in the same filters. Tag Wranglers cannot separate works using the exact same tag. We can only wrangle tags, not works.
If you discover that your work is showing up under a different filter (tag) than you intended, you can edit the tag on your work to be clearer. For example, Penny Parker is a character on the TV show MacGyver. “Penny Parker” is also a common fan name for female Peter Parker, better known as Spider-Man. If you tag your work “Penny Parker”, it will end up in the filters for the MacGyver character, even if you were thinking of female Peter. To avoid this, you could alter your tag to “Penny Parker (girl!Peter)” or something similar. That would allow Tag Wranglers to merge it into Peter Parker’s tag filter instead.
(Obviously, Tag Wranglers can’t merge the plain “Penny Parker” tag directly with Peter’s. If we did that, all of the MacGyver’s “Penny Parker” works would show up in Peter Parker’s filters, and she would not have a filter of her own. This would cause problems for fans of both characters!)
If a tag is new to you, you might find it useful to check its filter before using it. You might find that the tag has a different meaning in a different fandom.
How To Make Tags Work For You
In the month of April this year, Tag Wranglers collectively wrangled approximately 497,000 tags. In May we wrangled well over half a million! Tag Wranglers work very hard to connect your tags; you can make our job easier by being clear about what you mean.
Here are some ideas you can try in order to make your own works or bookmarks appear in the filters you want. (Please don't comment on works to ask other users to do this - this is for your own works/bookmarks only!)
- Autocomplete is your friend: If a fandom tag exists in the autocomplete for your fandom already, try including that tag. The tags that Tag Wranglers see are based on filterable fandoms listed on the work, so using a fandom tag from the autocomplete speeds up the time it takes to wrangle your tag and have it show up correctly.
- Making a new fandom: If there is no fandom tag yet for your work, try including the medium, creator, or year the canon was first published in the tag. This speeds up the process of creating a new fandom tag, as we will have more information to use when researching what canon you mean! For books, it's especially important to include the author's name; for movies, the year. For other fandoms, usually the media type is enough, unless the title is very generic. For example, if you're posting for the TV show "Merlí", try adding "TV" after the title, like this: Merlí (TV).
- Be kind to RPF fans: Try to avoid mixing up Actor RPF and fictional TV or movie fandoms in your tags. If you're posting Actor RPF, please use the RPF fandom tags. If an RPF fandom tag doesn't exist yet for that TV show or movie, make one by adding "RPF" to the end of the TV show or movie's existing tag name. Example: The Hunger Games (Movies) RPF. Please also try to avoid using the Actor RPF fandom tags if you're only working with fictional characters. This will help RPF fans easily find the works they want and will reduce the effort Tag Wranglers must use to find the right place for your tags.
- Where does original work go? If you're posting a fannish-styled original work set in your own universe with your own characters, please try using the "Original Work" tag. (Furry fans, you can use that or the "Furry - Fandom" tag.) Please take care not to directly link to paypal, patreon, or commercial sites, as AO3 is a non-commercial site. (For further information, please consult the Terms of Service.)
- Make characters unique: Try to use full names for characters. If a character has just one name, put the name of the fandom in parentheses after it. Example: Undyne (Undertale). This especially helps avoid any potential ambiguity issues and ensures that it will be easier to find your work. You may not think the chances of having a character named Undyne in another fandom is high, but this happens frequently.
- Separate your / and & ships / is for romantic and/or sexual relationships. & is for platonic relationships only - ones that are neither sexual nor romantic. (Pre- and Post-Relationship are still /.) & was created for those Gen fans who don't want anything non-platonic in the ships they're searching for. You can help both Gen fans and shippers by carefully choosing the tag that matches your work!
- Add cameos in the Additional Tags: If a fandom, character, or relationship is only a passing reference, you can choose to put the tag in the "Additional Tags" (Freeforms) category instead. This will keep your work from being sorted into the fandom, character, or relationship's filter, while still telling users what's in the work. Example: Hints of Jin Dong/Wang Kai in the "Additional Tags" field keeps Jin Dong/Wang Kai fans from being disappointed that a work only mentions their relationship briefly.
These suggestions are meant to help get your tags wrangled quicker and more accurately so that users have a great experience on AO3. You won’t need to edit any tags on past works or bookmarks unless they aren’t showing up in the filters you prefer.
However, these tagging suggestions don’t mean that you can’t continue to tag creatively for various topics! Tag Wranglers love clever tags, and sometimes we can even canonize the concepts. Magneto’s Terrible Fashion Sense is just one of many enjoyable tags that make us giggle.
If you have any questions or suggestions about wrangling, please consult the Tags FAQ. If that doesn't answer your question, the FAQ explains how to contact Tag Wranglers directly, or you can send short questions to us at our twitter account, ao3_wranglers.
Please don't leave comments on this post with questions or requests about specific tags. They won't be answered, since Tag Wranglers can't easily track requests from here. Please use the options listed above to contact us. Thanks!
"Korse went that way," the guy answers, before Gerard can get his question all the way out. It makes him a little paranoid that this guy already knows who Gerard is looking for.
"Thanks, Mikey," he says.
"Michael," the guy corrects, and Gerard sees it clearly on the nametag clipped to his shirt.
"Sorry," Gerard says, "I don't know why I -" and then he trails off. The guy stares at him, and scowls. Gerard hurries off in the direction he pointed, and finds Korse, looking at his watch.
"Close the door," Korse says, when Gerard steps into the room. As soon as the door clicks shut behind him, Korse says, "Come here, Gerard."
- jjtaylor's Workplace Appropriate Attire
Graphic created by dungeonmarm
sign-ups on ao3 | deadlines | faq | rules | pinch hitter sign-ups | contact a mod
Description: Have you ever read a story and wondered: What an amazing story! But what if…? Well here's your chance to take a crack at that what if. This is an anonymous remix challenge for Arrow, Constantine, The Flash, Legends of Tomorrow, Supergirl, and Vixen.
- present-July 15: DC Multiversity Remix is open for sign ups
- July 16: sign ups close
- July 22: fanworks are assigned to everyone who signed up for the challenge
- August 5: first check-in
- August 26: second check-in
- September 9: remixes due (complete and posted to the DC Multiversity Remix collection on AO3)
- September 24: DC Multiversity Remix collection goes live
- October 1: authors revealed
Characters/Pairing: GEN. Daniel Jackson, Jack O'Neill, Samantha Carter, Teal'c, George Hammond, Janet Frasier, Tonane, Xe'ls, T'akaya and a few surprises.
Rating: T, one character death, not a main character.
Word Count: 30,500
Summary: Daniel's return from Ascension was quick - his return to duty at the SGC, to his family, SG-1, even quicker. So quick that he might not be finished. As determined as he is to get his old life back, he's not quite the same - the mission to help Ryac and Bra'tac on Erebus certainly told him that. While Washington is eager to find out what he knows, some old friends need SG-1's help - and they intend to help Daniel, too. Whether he wants them to or not. Let's not even discuss Jack O'Neill's reaction. Spoilers for Spirits, The Fifth Man, and Orpheus. Inspired by artwork by the talented sg1mouse. Beta-ed by the fabulous DennyJ. All remaining errors are my own.
Link to AO3: Where the River Meets the Sea
Being a member of the Organization for Transformative Works means being able to vote for your Board. This helps affect how the OTW, and projects such as the Archive of Our Own, Fanlore, and Transformative Works and Cultures, are run now and going forward. This year, our Board elections are from August 11th–14th, and to be eligible to vote, you need to be a member of the Organization for Transformative Works by June 30, 2017.
In order to become a member and be eligible to vote in this year’s election, you have to have made a donation of US$10 or more and chosen the “membership” option. If you're unsure whether this applies to your donation, please contact our Development & Membership team.
Please don’t miss your chance to vote in this election; become a member today!
Lets see, in the last week or so I've seen The Mummy, which was okay and Gifted which I liked a lot. Started to watch The Handmaid's Tale, which led to me reading a forum post about the show which included recs for books in that genre, so ended up downloading and reading Only Ever Yours which I gobbled down in a few days, all the time thinking, no, no, this is horrible and wrong.
Talking about reading. I abandoned that Musketeer story I mentioned a few posts back. It wasn't the constant crying that defeated me, even though that was irritating, it was because the writer was posting as a WIP and obviously started changing the story depending on what people said comments. Due to that they ended up constantly contradicting things that had been stated as fact earlier just so they could change the story going forward. I mean, own what you're writing, if someone doesn't like what you've written, that's on them not you. It was so frustrating and in the end I just gave in -- and then started to read a horribly melodramatic mpreg instead.
Looking through my open tabs I found a gdocs draft of the story I started and then abandoned for the wingfic picfor1000 Way bros idea. So I finished it. I need to give it a look over and will probably post it. It's just a bit of fluff, but it's a shame to just leave it sitting there. Though I may go see if I can match it to a bingo prompt first #cheat
It doesn't happen often with both of them working shifts, but both Kayleigh and James were at work the last two days so I had to take mam to a dentist appointment on Tuesday and then yesterday to an appointment to the chest clinic. The dentist went fine, and then yesterday she got mixed news. The tumour in her lung has shrank a little, but her oxygen levels are so low she's going to be started on home oxygen from next week. I think we all knew it was coming, and hopefully it won't be a 24/7 thing but more of a top-up, but she's still upset.
While at the hospital we bumped into my dad's brother who'd been there for a post op check. We talked a while, then when he left mam asked who it was and I told her, uncle Allen. She was astounded, and apparently hasn't seen him since she divorced my dad, so over 30 years ago. I wondered why he seemed a bit tense and she said nothing.
Corey's having more issues with his wisdom tooth so has been calling often over the last two days. He couldn't get an appointment at his own dentist until Monday, so has been trying to get an emergence dental appointment in Newcastle, and after going to the walk in dentist this morning at 8am, finally has a card to say he can go back and wait from 1 this afternoon. Hopefully they can do something then, and if not, has kept the Monday appointment just in case.
I went to a walk to High Force with James, stopping off at the ford first where I had a plodge. It was funny as we met and chatted to a couple there, and then a few hours later met them again at the falls, where the guy offered to take our photo.
Mam got her new car on Monday. Kayleigh is her designated driver, so we took both of them to the garage to pick it up, and while there we were checking out all the new cars. We don't change until Dec next year, so don't even need to start looking until this time next year, but you know, we were there, so why not have a look around? And I have to say, it's such a good feeling to realise I could easily fit into any car, even the smaller kinds, and seat belts fastened with room to spare even in the back seats. When we do actually pick, the only thing we need to think of space wise is whether James' wheelchair will fit in the boot. Nothing else. That was such a rush.
Mog on the Tyne have two new kittens. Want to guess where we'll be going next week? :D
by Alex Lu, at the Establishment
Creation Entertainment’s refusal to provide access comes at a time when the inclusion of people with disabilities at fan conventions is increasingly recognized as an issue.
How Kumail Nanjiani and Emily V. Gordon Manage That 'Big Sick' Illness in Real Life
by Ashley Lee, at the Hollywood Reporter
It’s not ideal to fall in love with someone who’s in a coma, but that’s what happens to Kumail Nanjiani in The Big Sick — and in real life. The Silicon Valley actor co-wrote the romantic dramedy with wife Emily V. Gordon, based on their actual courtship (Zoe Kazan portrays her onscreen, and Holly Hunter and Ray Romano play her parents).
The titular sickness remains unnamed throughout most of the movie, as it was to Gordon for much of her life.
The Organization for Transformative Works is pleased to announce the following candidates for the 2017 Election (in alphabetical order by given name):
- Claire P. Baker
- Danielle Strong
- Erica Dulin
- Gimena Calixto
- Jessie Camboulives
- Milena Popova
Because we have 3 seats to be filled and 6 candidates, the 2017 election will be contested – that is, the members of OTW will vote on which candidates fill the seats.
The Elections Committee is excited to introduce the candidates to all of the members of the OTW! Included in this post are links to short Bios and Platforms written by the candidates. This post also marks the beginning of our Q&A period, during which we invite the public to submit questions for the candidates. Additionally, we will be holding a series of live chats – dates and times for those are to be announced based on candidate availability. Information on the voting period and how to vote will also be posted shortly.
In the meantime, there is a timeline of Elections events available here for your reference. Read on to learn more about our candidates and how you can submit questions for them!
Platforms and Bios
We asked each candidate to provide us with a Bio that sums up their professional and fannish experience, as well as to write a Platform about their goals for their term on the Board by answering the following questions:
- Why did you decide to run for election to the Board?
- What skills and/or experience would you bring to the Board?
- Choose one or two goals for the OTW that are important to you and that you would be interested in working on during your term. Why do you value these goals? How would you work with others to achieve them?
- What is your experience with the OTW’s projects and how would you collaborate with the relevant committees to support and strengthen them? Try to include a range of projects, though feel free to emphasize particular ones you have experience with.
- How would you balance your Board work with other roles in the OTW, or how do you plan to hand over your current roles to focus on Board work?
You can read both the candidates’ answers to these questions and their bios by following the link below.
Question & Answer (Q&A)
Candidates will also answer questions from the public. Anyone may submit questions via the Elections form. Please submit all questions by 11:59pm UTC on June 28 (what time is that where I live?). All candidates will answer each question submitted, subject to the following restrictions:
- Questions must not be repeats of questions from the Platforms. This is to allow candidates to spend their time answering new questions.
- Similar questions will be grouped together so candidates don’t have to repeat themselves. Elections staff will decide which questions are similar enough to group.
- If you have a follow-up to a Platform question, please specifically mention that it is a follow-up so it isn’t treated as a repeat.
The posting date for answers will be chosen depending on the number of questions received. Posts will be spread out, arranged by topic, to make it easier for voters to read all the answers.
Disabled People Destroy Science Fiction will be an issue of Uncanny Magazine 100% written and edited by disabled creators– an official continuation of Lightspeed Magazine’s immensely popular and award-winning Destroy series of special issues. The Kickstarter will launch July 24 and run through August 23.
Gerard starts ranting the moment the door is closed, where the fuck has he been and mom and dad are worried sick and I don't care if high school sucks, if you don't graduate you're fucked and you've only got two months left anyway, and Mikey can tell he's never going to shut up so he does the simple thing. He kisses him.
Or, at least he tries. He doesn't have his tongue in Gerard's mouth for more than a second before Gerard's backing away. "What the fuck?"
Mikey is struck with an urge to break his neck. It's not anything evil and vampiric; he used to get the same feeling when Gerard took the last sip of coffee from his mug and he had to make a new one to finish getting his fix.
- gala_apples' Blood... It's Everything